Monday, May 7, 2012

Apple Blossom

After being up in the Winchester Area off and on for the past 5 1/2 years, we finally made it out to Apple Blossom this year.  First time to see the parade and we all had a blast. 

We knew the parade wouldn't start until about 1330 and figured we would get there around 1100ish or so, but that all changed when we realized the whole town basically shuts down for this thing.  Since we drove to the bowling alley for the boys weekly bowling league and found out it was cancelled due to Apple Blossom, we decided to go and park early and see what was all there.  Of course all the roads were basically shut down already and we needed to find the ideal spot just in case I went into labor in the middle of the parade.  (of course no such luck and as I write this, baby number 4 still wants to just hang out in my belly).  We did find the ideal spot and took our walk around.

Kids loved it.  And it reminded me of all the different carnivals and fairs I have ever gone to, just without the rides.  Games, food stands, try to win a car, etc.  Most people dress in the colors of pink and green to show their support for Apple Blossom.  Very festive and fun day and the weather was perfect.  In fact we all got more sun than we thought we would.  The kids collected free stuff from the Army guys, much to my dismay of course, as we all know Air Force is much better.  They also did play some games and won a few stuff animals.  Not that we need anymore, but it was better than them trying to win the goldfish that would surely die after about a week or so.

The parade was great.  Maybe a bit too long as it was about 3 hours long, but overall wonderful.  We even saw Mario Lopez as he was the grand marshal, or at least I think he was.  He still looked good and just reminded me of the Saved by the Bell days.  Sadly I still have the board game.  Oops should I even mention that.  LOL.   There were also some other famous people, a couple of football players and Rusty Wallace from NASCAR.  Of course you had some congressmen and senators.   We had great seats right along the parade route thanks to my awesome stepmom who bought them.  Well worth it.  Especially since I am 20 months pregnant.  JK  Only 9 but who is counting.  Front row seats were great and conveniently located next to the bathrooms.  Very important when the bowling ball in your belly sits on your bladder.  

It was a great weekend and very relaxing to enjoy such a huge part of this area.  Now its time to continue baby watch and hope she makes her debut soon.  She has everyone on pins and needles just waiting as we surely thought she would have been here by now.   Sorry for no pictures, as I failed to bring my camera.  But once I get the ones my stepmom took then I will be glad to show them off.

1 comment:

The Samsons said...

I love your top picture! Cant wait to hear new baby news. The parade sounds fun. I've heard that is a great festival with lots to do :)